Sweet little dates… who doesn’t love them!
They are packed full of nutrients and are one of the best alternatives to sugar.
This recipe is great if you’re looking for something different to Agave, Honey or Maple syrup. It tastes quite similar to molasses and has a deep caramel like flavour. You could alternatively infuse the syrup with vanilla, star anise or cardamom. We love the earthy flavour that the cinnamon gives to it, making it a frequently used product in our home.
It can be used in all baking recipes; we use it in our cookies, cakes and on top of our Banana Nice Cream.
Recipe makes 800grams making it a lot cheaper than organic honey or maple syrup!
1 Litre of filtered water
1kg of Medjool Dates
2 Alba Cinnamon Quills
1-heaped tsp of ground Alba
- Combine in a pot or thermo mix the dates, filter water and cinnamon.
- Bring to the liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Allow cooling for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- With a nut bag squeeze out all of the date syrup and return to the pot. The date mix will be extremely hot so be carful when straining out the pulp.
- Bring the syrup back to the boil then turn it down to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until it has reduced by around 200g.
- Cool completely then transfer the syrup to a bottle or airtight container.
- Enjoy! x