This recipe is for my lovely mum, Trish x
I’ve simplified the recipe so you can easily make it at home in around 10-15mins.
It is a perfect breakfast option if you’re watching your weight, looking for a health boost or even just a little time poor. It’s a big batch so it should last you 2-4 weeks. Try not to over eat it though; too many nuts can cause an upset tummy.
2 cups of cashews
2 cups of walnuts
2 cups of almonds
2 cups of shredded coconut
1 cup of Pumpkin seeds
½ cup of sunflower seeds
¼ cups of flaxseeds
¼ cups chia seeds
¼ cup of sesame seeds
2 cups of rice or quinoa puffs
1 tbsp. Alba Cinnamon
1 cup of dehydrated fruits – Apricots, cranberries figs, dates, cherries or blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
100g melted coconut oil
½ cup of maple syrup, honey, agave or coconut blossom sugar.
1 tbsp. real vanilla extract
¼ tsp. sea salt flakes
- Pre heat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Line 2 large oven trays with baking paper.
- Roughly chop the nuts; I like to use a knife for this part. It takes a bit longer than a food processor but the final product it waaay better!
- In a large bowl (the bigger the better) add all of the dry ingredients.
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan remembering to not overheat the oil.
- Add into the oil your choice of sweetener and vanilla syrup; whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and combine really well so that all of the dry ingredients are coated with the yummy sweet coconut oil.
- Pour the muesli onto the oven tray and place in the hot oven.
- Cook for 5-10mins – keep a good eye on the muesli, if the edges look like they are starting to burn take it out early.
- Stir the muesli and return to the oven for a further 5-8 minutes.
- Stir and repeat this step if your oven is a little slow, you want the nuts to be nice and brown.
- Let the muesli cool completely before to move it into a storage container.
- Serve with your choice of fresh fruit, coconut yogurt, milk or what ever you fancy. I like to eat it on its own as a snack while I’m on the go.